Here's why you should think about the psychological impact of retiring...
Initially, escaping the daily grind and a long commute, workplace politics, or a difficult boss, for example, can seem like a great relief. However, many new retirees find that after a few months the novelty of being on “permanent holiday” starts to wear off.
Then you may start to experience...
- A missing sense of identity
- Wonder what the meaning to life is now
- Worried about being at home with your partner all day
- Feel like you've lost the purpose which came with your job
- Days no longer seem to have structure
- You miss the social aspect of having colleagues
The truth is that no matter how much you’ve been looking forward to it, retiring from work is a major life change that can bring stress as well as benefits.